Saturday, March 14, 2009

Becoming More Heavenly Minded

Many people have probably heard the old quote that "some people are so heavenly minded that they are of no earthly good." I tend to agree more with C.S. Lewis in his classic book, Mere Christianity. Lewis wrote, "If you read history you will find that the Christians who did the most for the present world were just those who thought most of the next. It is since Christians have largely ceased to think of the other world that they have become so ineffective in this."


The Apostle Paul wrote, “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things” (Colossians 3:1-2, NIV).

I recognize there are many views on heaven. I have chosen for these purposes to stick with a biblical view on the topic. The questions below are helpful to me in this part of my spiritual journey. I hope you find them so as well. How do you set your mind on heaven?

Do I daily reflect on my own mortality?
Do I daily realize there are only two destinations…heaven or hell…and that I and every person I know will go to one or the other?
Do I daily remind myself that this world is not my home and that everything in it will burn, leaving behind only what’s eternal?
Do I daily recognize that my choices and actions have a direct influence on the world to come?
Do I daily realize that my life is being examined by God, the Audience of One, and that the only appraisal of my life that will ultimately matter is His?
Do I daily reflect on my ultimate home and with anticipation look forward to being with God?

NOTE: for a detailed biblical study of heaven, consider Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. While I join the earlier commentor in his condemnation of the murders of innocent people last week, I cannot agree with his proposed solution. While I disagree and believe that gun control simply does not work, I would also point out that if the scenario should ever take place, where citizens (law-abiding) were stripped of their guns, then we would soon experience the same type of totalitarian and yes, anti-Christian government we see in many parts of the world. I also do not believe the solution of gun control will ever "fix" the problem. The real problem is not firearms; The real problem is a desperately wicked heart. God's Word tells us that the only solution is a heart transplant...trading our heart of stone for a new heart, given to us when we ask Christ to be our Lord and Savior. Until such time as a person surrenders their life to Christ, no amount of government intervention can really be completely successful. I believe the Biblical answer is for the Church to be the Church and to make disciples out of all the world.

    ReplyDelete