Monday, March 9, 2009

At The End of the Journey....

We live our lives and run our races. We experience all sorts of things…but if we don’t have the end in mind we may not end up where we intended to finish. One day I will come to the end of my life and there are going to be people I have led to Christ along the way and lives I’ve influenced and good things in my family…but it is not enough just to run legs of race well. I WANT TO FINISH WELL. What would that look like? I took time to write down some thoughts about what finishing well would look like for me and I challenge you to make your own list. Here’s part of mine:

That I would finish with my integrity intact.
That those who know me best would respect me most.
That I would still be surprised by God.
That my next step with God would be ever before me.
That my marriage vows would be all paid up.
That my kids would know that faith in Christ works for life.
That the Bible would still be jumping off the page at me.
That holy discontent would still be taking me new places with God.
That my relationship to my amazing wife would still be fresh and passionate…like it is after these 23 years.
That my children would be serving and loving the God of their father and passing it on.
That I would not be ashamed for what I do when no one else will know…to be shouted in the streets.
That I would still be amazed by the grace of God.
That I would still be believing the church is the hope of the world because of the lifechanging, eternity impacting message entrusted to her.
That I would still have a passion to see the lost found, the found formed, and the formed freed to serve God and make Him known.

That I would finish with an otherworldly optimism that in a broken, sinful world…filled with darkness and hurt…I would still know and still be making the truth known that the story doesn’t have to end like that…Jesus is my Savior and Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment