Monday, June 1, 2009

Comfort Zones

Sunday, Jimmy Smith preached a great message - "You Have To Do Something" from James 1:22. I found it challenging and encouraging. Today we met for staff meeting for the first time in eleven years without Jimmy at the table as our Student Minister. I will miss having him in the office (and sitting beside me at staff meetings). I thank the Lord for his testimony of following the dynamic of God's calling on his life and the blessing he has been to my children and to me.

I heard his message twice since I was in both worship hours Sunday. I was reminded that there is benefit to hearing a great sermon and also to meditating on it later. He began by talking about things that keep us from making a difference and he addressed "comfort zones."

In my reflection on the message I jotted down several things this morning that I've observed and experienced about comfort zones. Someday this will become a sermon unto itself. Today it's just some quick observations:

Busyness keeps us from moving out of comfort zones. When we're too busy to think new thoughts and dream new dreams, we'll seldom take new ground for Christ.

Sinfulness keeps us from moving out of comfort zones. Jesus said that "men loved the darkness instead of the light because their deeds were evil." Sin will leave you stuck in a dark comfort zone.

Selfishness keeps us from moving out of comfort zones. In the parable of the sower the word is sown but the "worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful." When it's all about "you" there's not much room for next steps with Jesus.

Fearfulness keeps us from moving out of comfort zones. Peter stepped out of the boat and walked on the water with Jesus until fear made him sink. The other disciples never stepped out fo the comfort zone of the boat.

Materialism keeps us from moving out of comfort zones. "The love of money is the root of all evil." How many steps of obedience are hindered by love of money?

Past successes keep us from moving out of comfort zones. One of the biggest obstacles to overcome is what worked really well in the past. I think of Samson after his "haircut." He awoke and said, "I will go out as before." Times had changed and what worked in the past was no longer possible. "He did not know the Lord had left him."

There's more to the list I'm sure. Feel free to offer suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. Lack of vision keeps has kept me in my comfort zone before. When I just can't see what the Lord would use me to do. Andy Stanley has a great book on this. It is called Visioneering

    ReplyDelete