Monday, April 27, 2009

Living at the Speed of Life

We started a new series Sunday called “Living at the Speed of Life.” The series will address all sorts of issues relating to life, family, marriage, children, and the challenges that go with all that.

It’s obvious that the pace of life is getting faster and faster. All you have to do is get on Central Expressway here in Dallas to figure out that a lot of people are willing to risk life and limb (your life and/or limbs) just to save a few precious seconds. Everybody’s in a hurry, and everybody is multi-tasking. We are constantly online and plugged in and phone ready.

Wednesday I leave for Makindu, Kenya. Thirteen people from our church will parter with seven other Americans along with about fifty National pastors and believers from Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda. We will work with thirty-six churches in a coordinated evangelism effort. Those churches have been using Operation Andrew over the last several months to identify people they know who don't know Jesus Christ. We will spend our mission trip time sharing the story of the love of Christ house to house, in schools, in businesses, and on the streets in and around Makindu with those people. While there are other Christian groups who have been a part of mission trips to the area, there has been limited attention given to addressing the spiritual darkness/lostness in the area. We pray that hundreds of people will come to faith in Christ. (The photo is described as a typical home in Makindu).

I know from my previous experience in Kenya that my biggest adjustment we be to slow down. I should leave my watch here. Their culture is not so time-crazy as the culture I live in.

The Kenyan people I spent time with two years ago walked slowly. I nearly ran right up their backs several times. It's hard to slow the pace for me. At meals we grew accustomed to simple foods of the region and the people ate slowly and deliberately. I ate like I usually do…eat, eat, eat, done! I've always thought I would do well in competitive eating competitions.

My phone won’t be much help there. Internet access severely limited. Electricity unusual in households. No television to watch. Unplugging and slowing down has many good things about it. It’s easier to hear God when you’re not running around like a maniac. People become more important. You notice birds and trees. There are benefits to stepping away from American culture.

I look forward to several challenges personally and spiritually. I anticipate the blessing on God on our efforts. Most of all, I look forward to experiencing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment