Wednesday, April 22, 2009

In the Coils of a Python

As I prepare for our mission trip to Kenya, an alert observer and encourager shared this news story out of Kenya. The events took place in the area where we served in 2007 - Malindi.
It seems a man was walking along and got wrapped up by a python. The snake dragged him up a tree. After a long battle (during which he bit the snake) he was able to free himself enough to get to his cell phone. It reminds me of the show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire." Contestants had the option of phoning a friend in their time of need. Fortunately for this Kenyan man, his friends came to his aid and he is okay.
I hope you have good friends you can call in times of need. Sometimes we all need help beyond ourselves. I thank the Lord for friends I could call on in crisis (though I'm not sure of their snake-handling credentials I think they'd give it a try). I also would say that my first call would be to the Lord. He wouldn't just let the call go to voicemail. The psalmist said, "In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened; He saved me from all my troubles" (Psalm 34:6, NLT).

3 comments:

  1. I have learned that finding friends who are willing to come to your aid in times of need are few and far between. I am so glad to know that the Lord is in my corner and I now know that. It really does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, since I am not going to Kenya with the team this time, and since I will be on the same time zone as you all, in Saudi, I thought it only natural that I offer to be the designated python callee! I will be praying for the team for safe travels and for God to use each of you in His plan for the people of Kenya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll call but please don't let it go to voicemail!

    ReplyDelete