Monday, December 3, 2012

Entitlement and Thanksgiving

This from Thom Rainer in an article titled Entitlement and Thanksgiving.

If I feel entitled, I complain about my job.
If I am thankful, I am grateful to have a job.
If feel entitled, I complain about the meal I’m eating.
If I am thankful, I am grateful to have food on the table.
If I feel entitled, I complain that the government does not do enough for me.
If I am thankful, I ask what I can first do for others.
If I feel entitled, I complain about my spouse.
If am thankful, I express gratitude that someone has put up with me all these years.
If I feel entitled, I complain about living paycheck to paycheck.
If I am thankful, I am grateful simply to have a paycheck.
If I feel entitled, I complain about what’s wrong with my church.
If I am thankful, I am ever grateful for the freedom to worship.
If I feel entitled, I complain about the deficiencies of different family members.
If am thankful, I am grateful that I have a family that loves and cares for me.
If I feel entitled, I complain about the lousy weather we’re having.
If I am thankful, I am grateful to be a free person regardless of the weather.
If I feel entitled, I complain to God about why He is treating me so unfairly.
If I am thankful, I know that I deserve nothing good, that all gifts are an act of grace.
Dear Lord, forgive me for my sense of entitlement. Remind me to rejoice in all things, and in all things to be thankful. Remind me to count my blessings. And remind me when my heart begins to stray from thanksgiving to entitlement.

No comments:

Post a Comment