Sunday, July 29, 2012

Getting Ready for a New School Year

The summer break is coming to an end soon. The month of August is a time for getting in last minute vacations and gearing up for the beginning of a new school year. Regular routines and Friday night football are just around the corner. It is a time of beginning again. January provides opportunity to set new goals and establish new patterns. I have found that the beginning of a new school year in August does the same.

My challenge to you is to take time in these weeks to do some evaluating. Ask yourself diagnostic questions that will help you to discern God’s will for the days ahead. Write down your impressions from God and make them a matter of daily prayer for yourself. Visit with another believer who knows you well to receive their spiritual counsel and encouragement. Determine what God would have you do next. Make sure you do something. Good intentions do not result in spiritual growth. Commitments and obedience will yield growth. Perhaps the following questions will help you get started:

  • What does God want to accomplish in my heart and life in the next year?
  • What does the Lord want to develop in my character?
  • What faith steps will I take this year for the first time?
  • Where will obedience to the will and ways of God lead me in the next several months?
  • Am I spending time reading the Bible each day?
  • Is my prayer life meaningful and am I connecting with God?
  • Am I consistent and obedient and Christ-honoring in giving my tithes and offerings?
  • Have I shared my faith with anyone in the last year?
  • What would God have me do in ministry beyond myself?
  • Have I found a meaningful place of service and ministry in my church?
  • Do I share God’s heart for the world? Is God leading me to be a part of an international mission trip this year?
  • Am I connected and committed to a small group of believers through a Bible Fellowship Group?
  • Have I ever lead someone else to make a commitment to Jesus Christ?
  • What have I done in the last year to improve my skills as a Christian parent?
  • Have I taken any tangible steps to enrich my marriage recently?
  • Does my attendance in worship services and my Bible Fellowship Group give testimony to a consistent Christian walk with God?
  • Would my neighbors and work associates say that I am a committed follower of Christ?
  • Would Christ introduce me as one of His committed followers?

Have a blessed spiritual journey! God has great things for you as you seek and obey Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment