Monday, February 2, 2009

Sense of Urgency


Sunday we began our new series - "One Month To Live - Thirty Days to a No-Regrets Life". Our challenge is to live the next 30 days as if it’s our last. It’s not because we're going to die in a month, but because, Lord willing, we're going to live many more years. I believe that if you live this way for the next 30 days at the end of the month you’ll know how to really live. We need a sense of urgency about pursuing the things that are really important in life and in eternity. We are finding that relationship to God and to other people are the important things.

Maybe the most dangerous word in the English language (when it comes to addressing urgency) is the word “someday.” Many of us suffer from the “someday syndrome.” Someday I’ll make things right with my mom. Someday I’ll take that trip. Someday I’ll have more time for the kids. Someday I’ll talk to my friend about Jesus. Someday I’ll go back to school. In fact, why don’t you fill in the blank? If you can’t think of something to put in the blank, ask your spouse or a good friend. Just ask the “what have I been saying that SOMEDAY I would do, but have never gotten around to?” Maybe for years you have been living with the illusion of “someday.” You sincerely plan to get around to it. The problem with “some day” is that it can rob us of “this day.”

In talking about urgency we shared this link. http://www.biblehelp.org/mortality.htm It is a mortality counter. It tabulates how many people have died somewhere in the world since the time you started the counter. Each number represents a human life that enters eternity. Some are ready and most are not. What would it take for you to be fully ready? What are you waiting for?

3 comments:

  1. I found that my worst word is soon. We will get together soon...After reading today's chapter I am paying attention to what I am saying soon to. I have caught myself saying it 4 times already today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My challenge is figuring out what I need to be urgent about. If it is just one month though, my "to do" list just got a lot shorter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been a "Spiritual Journaler" (Is that a word?), but as part of the OMTL study, I am committed to try it. The first rattle out of my journal box was really sort of a bridge between the last sermon series on debt and stuff and this one. The Lord really convicted me that all the stuff I have not only cost me money that perhaps could have been used more wisely and in better service to Him, but that stuff takes a tremendous toll of time...time to maintain it, time to store, time to see if it still works, time to find if and when I ever need it, time to figure out how to use it, etc. So I think one of my task is to not only get rid of some of the things on my to-do-list, but also on my to-own-list!

    ReplyDelete