Wednesday, January 28, 2009

If I Hadn't Seen It Myself, I Wouldn't Have Believed It

Sunday we talked about biblical financial principles. One of those was to plan your spending. We would call that a budget. I budget is just telling your money where you want it to go instead of wondering where it went. Why don't we practice this discipline? What is the #1 enemy of planning?
We want everything NOW…we take part in what is called impulse buying. You go out and go shopping and you see something you really want and you buy it. You didn’t plan to buy it. It wasn’t in your budget to buy it. You just made an impulse decision. It is one of the major contributors to debt.
I shared an illustration the sermon that the entire advertising industry is geared toward impulse buying. They are trying to convince us consumers that we need everything now.
This week, an alert church member found an exception to this rule. It is a website that directs online buyers to possible sources for their purchases. At the top of their page they have this statement that amazed and thrilled me. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.
"Shop responsibly. Have you put anything into your savings this month? If not then do you really need to buy something today?" Three cheers for these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment