Thursday, July 7, 2016

Most Popular Posts: Making Disciples

We've been talking about discipleship and the stages of spiritual growth in a believer as we've made our way through a study of the Sermon on the Mount. I was introduced recently to a book titled Real-Life Discipleship that seeks to identify where people are in their growth process.

It takes the reader through the general characteristics, typical beliefs/behaviors/attitudes, spiritual needs, and phrases of speech from each of the stages of spiritual growth. It's a good self-examinaton book. The following is a summary of some of the key phrases you might hear at different stages of spiritual maturity...

It’s important that we know where we (and others) are in the spiritual growth process. Jim Putnam says, “listen for a ‘phrase from the stage.’ ” [p.45]

Those who are spiritually dead say things like,

“There are many ways to God.” “I don’t believe in God.” [p. 80]

The Bible is just a bunch of lies.

“There is no hell because God is a God of love.”

“I have been a good person, so I know I will be okay.” [ibid.]

Listen for a phrase from the stage.

A spiritual infant might say,

“I don’t have to go to church to be a Christian.”

“I gave my life to Jesus and I go to church, but I don’t need to be close to other people.”

“I don’t have time to be in relationship with another Christian.” [pp. 92-93]

Listen for a phrase from the stage.

A spiritual child might say,

“I love my small group; don’t add any more people to it.”

“My church isn’t taking care of my needs.”

I didn’t like the sermon today; I wish Fr. Tony or Fr. Jeff could preach like Charles Stanley or Chuck Swindoll.

“I didn’t like the music today – if only they did it like…” New Life or Trinity Memorial.

“I’m not being fed in my church, so I am going to a church that meets my needs better.”

[quotes from pp. 106-107]

Listen for the phrase from the stage.

A spiritual young adult might say,

“I love my small group, but there are others who need a group like this. I think I could lead a group with a little help.”

“In my devotions, I came across something I have a question about.”

“I am ready to make disciples, and I will let you know if I need help.”

I noticed that we don’t have a visitation team for shut-ins. Is that something I could do?

[quotes from p. 127]

Listen for the phrase from the stage.

A spiritual parent might say,

“A guy at work asked me to explain the Bible to him. Pray for me.”

“I have a person in my small group who is passionate about working with children. Can you have the children’s ministry people call me.”

I realized discipleship happens at home, too. Will you hold me accountable to spend time discipling my kids?”

[p. 143]

Several of us are planning to go on a mission trip and I have given each person a different responsibility. Where do you think we should go?

Did you hear the differences between the stages? For example, it’s it sad that an adult who’s been active in church for years wouldn’t understand that spiritual adulthood means that we have learned to feed ourselves spiritually?

No comments:

Post a Comment