Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ways to Engage Global Poverty Right Now

A week ago I was in the impoverished nation of Malawi with a mission team from our church. I saw again the "Five Giants" that dominate, especially in third world cultures: extreme poverty, pandemic disease, lack of education for the next generation, poor and/or ungodly leadership at all levels, and spiritual darkness. I saw orphans and AIDS widows by the hundreds in the villages where we served. I saw unclean drinking water and a lack of leaders in the villages and at the national levels. When the needs are so great, where can we begin? Overwhelmed by it all, we often just turn the other way.

This article by Ed Stetzer provides a good starting place to make a difference. Today I sit in my air conditioned office in the Dallas suburbs. There are things we can do from HERE- to tackle the problems THERE- and we can do it today. Making a difference begins with a step.

No comments:

Post a Comment