Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Rethinking Resolutions


In considering New Year's resolutions, I came across this suggestion from the editor of Discipleship Journal. If you are looking for direction from the Lord on your next steps with Him in the new year, this exercise may prove helpful.

Connie Willems writes:

One time, God sent the prophet Jeremiah to a potter’s house for a tangible demonstration of what it means to be moldable clay (Jeremiah 18). As I was thinking of potters and clay, I needed my own visual reminder, so God and I went together to a modern version of a potter’s house: YouTube. There, I sat quietly with God and watched potters work with clay.

God pointed out how good they were at their craft, how focused, how hands-on. And then He began to whisper about the specific way He wanted to shape me in the coming year. The life area He put His finger on surprised me; it’s not a place where I would have made a resolution. Still, this process of discerning God’s plan for me beats my old ineffective cycle of making my own commitments, trying hard, and then forgetting. Now, as “clay,” my role is simply to stay in relationship with God and surrender to His shaping; the results are in His hands.

Why don’t you try it? Hang out with God at a potter’s shop, ask Him questions, listen for His answers—and see what renovation He wants to work in you this year. Here are some links and questions to get you started:Pottery demonstrations:• A Japanese potter crafting a tea setA Mexican potter mining clay and forming a potAn American potter shaping a bowl
Questions to ask as you watch:•

Father, what do You want me to notice about the potter? • What would You like me to see and understand about the process of working with clay?• What insights do You want to give me about Your intentions toward me as You shape and form me?• What would You like to tell me about how You want to shape me in 2010? Is there a Scripture passage or theme You want to direct me to?

No comments:

Post a Comment